Yikes! We've all had that sinking feeling. It will probably happen to you if you haven't experienced it yet. Months of work, years of pictures, and weeks of bookkeeping lost in a moment.
Call me paranoid but I experience it everyday so I make backups automatically every day. If you have been "meaning to get to it". DO it today!
Failure to protect sensitive and/or important business information.
The information on your computer can be more valuable than the equipment itself. Protect your important data from loss, theft, and exposure with the following tips.
- Make two back-up copies of all software and important files. Keep one set of back-up materials off-site. Try to get a copy off site at least once a month. Tornados, floods, fire or theft doesn't keep your on-site copy safe.
- Use password protection or a lock that prevents your system from being turned on by unapproved users.
- Install anti-virus software to automatically check for computer viruses that can corrupt or destroy your files.
Back in the day a DVD would back up everything but today you need bigger media.
Pictures are another subject. I went totally digital about 7 years ago. My kids don't even know what a film cannister looks like. I do back them up similarly but those are "memories" I can't replace. I am extra paranoid about them. I do use DVD's to make permanent backups and store one copy off-site.
There are other resources that can backup your files online and would "kill two birds with one stone." These are monthly subscriptions and you would pay as you go for storage and for the amount of storage you use. Just search for online back up services and you will find a multitude of companies to explore.
It will happen to you, its just a matter of time. So get about the business of protecting your business with a good backup plan.
Share your thoughts and any tips you have that you use.
No comments:
Post a Comment